Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 17:00:59 -0800

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:

> And as I mentioned in another message, there is also the problem of
> Windows-level hotkeys that get added by installing an app or by using new
> hardware.  In that case, what you point out as a disadvantage is a definite
> advantage.

I've never used Emacs on Windows, but for a long time after my family
got its first computer I used Windows exclusively, and I remember
thinking I was quite clever when I figured out how to make Ctrl+Alt+I
bring up Internet Explorer no matter where you were.  I would have
been annoyed if some application decided to override my custom
binding, when the only thing *it* wanted to do with the key was tell
me "C-M-i is undefined".

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying you're not obviously
right.  If a key has a meaning in the environment, even a non-standard
meaning, users might *expect* the key to keep that meaning even when
the great and powerful Emacs has keyboard focus.