Moving cursor on another window

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Moving cursor on another window
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 13:20:22 +0000

This might be a simple issue, but I could'nt find the answer.

If I have multiple windows showing (with different buffers in them), and I want to move the cursor in a window other than the current one, how is that supposed to be done? The following pattern of code doesn't seem to work:

  (with-current-buffer other-buffer
     (beginning-of-buffer))

It works if the other-buffer is not currently displayed in a window. But if it is displayed, the cursor remains unchanged. I guess there is some implicit save-excursion at the top level somewhere. I can't see how to get around it.

Cheers,
Uday