Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 01:47:05 +0100

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 1:36 AM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I can't see that there is something like an "unbound error" when
>> entering a key that it not bound. All I can see is a message saying
>> "THE-KEY is undefined".
>
> Yes, Lennart, that is what I meant - that error.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.
>
>> How do you get that "unbound error"?
>
> By hitting a key in Emacs that is not bound in Emacs and that doesn't get
> grabbed by something outside Emacs.

But it is not an error. It is just a message. You can't grab it with
condition-case as you said you would.

>> I got the impression from this
>> discussion that your code somehow depends on it.
>
> My code has absolutely nothing to do with it.  Zero.  Nada.  I have no code
> that
> has anything to do with this, and I do not foresee having any.
>
> Dunno how you imagined that, but I seriously doubt that you "got the
> impression
> from this discussion".  Or else you're not reading well.

Because you gave the impression that you actually knew what you where
talking about. So I thought you had tested it.

> I simply do not see why we should remove control from users for no particular
> reason.  That's all.

> I repeat all that I've suggested:
>
> d>  (a) let users bind `M-f4' in Emacs, but if unbound
> d>  (b) look it up in `w32-passthrough-events' and
> d>      if there pass it to Windows, or if not there
> d>  (c) raise an unbound error.

There is no "unbound error". Or I can't find it.

If there is no "unbound error" then you are simply suggesting that we
should rather tell the user that Emacs have not bound the key than
passing it on to the operating system that knows how to handle it.

It does not make sense to me.