RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:40:51 -0800

> >> I like this idea. It is platform independent and at the
> >> same time it confirms to different platforms.
> >
> > Doesn't sound like a good idea.  Lisp code should be able
> > to check whether a given key is bound and do something if
> > not (e.g. condition-case check for unbound error).
>
> A good point. However the possibility to check whether a key is
> unbound in Emacs will not be affected.

Really?  Good, in that case.  I was under the impression that simply hitting the
key would mean that Windows grabs it.  In the example given by PJW the key was
pressed, raising the unbound error (now) or passing to Windows (proposed).
Testing after the key is pressed is different from just testing using `boundp'.

Admittedly, it is not everyday that code wants to handle an unbound key when it
is pressed.  Of course, that's exactly the case of the proposal...  What we
would be doing in effect is reserving that possibility for Window/Gnome/KDE to
handle Alt-f4, hardcoding it instead of letting anyone code it for any purpose.
But I do recognize that this is not a big use case.

I still prefer Stefan's proposal of `w32-passthrough-events': let users (or
libraries, for that matter) configure the behavior.

Better still would be to (a) let users bind `M-f4' in Emacs, but if unbound (b)
look it up in `w32-passthrough-events' and if there pass it to Windows, or if
not there (c) raise an unbound error.