Re: completion-ignored-extensions: match full file names

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: completion-ignored-extensions: match full file names
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 21:00:57 -0500

On Jan 13, 2011, at 8:51 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>  But I think we could make a change whereby if an element of
> completion-ignored-extensions begins with a slash, that means match at
> the beginning.  Then we could have "/.git/" as an element, and that
> would ignore only the standard ".git" subdirectories, not any
> directory that happens to end in ".git".

Yes.  I originally thought of "^.git" to mirror regexps, but not to implement
regexps for the reason you state.

I like your idea better, given that it really isn't a regexp.

The only (minor) issue I see is the name of the customization variable - at
that point, the string no longer represents an extension of the file name.
Perhaps we'd argue that it's an extension (suffix) of the whole path name.

We might want to go through the default set of extension and update it.
"/.bzr/", for instance, and the other VCS directories.

BTW, this functionality as well as the Emacs 23 completion mechanism are very
well conceived and quite useful!