RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:47:28 -0800

> > Just what is the real rationale behind this move?  Let's be
> > clear, please.
>
> Would it be enough to say that the in the system menu there
> is an entry "Close Alt+F4" but it does not work now because
> Emacs breaks it?

Is it enough for you?  Not for me.  Emacs "breaks" lots of MS Windows keys, and
I generally don't lose much sleep over it (Zzzzzzzzzz).

What if a different window mgr does not use that key for `Close'?  Do we not
make it the Emacs default for that platform?  Do we instead bind that platform's
`Close' key by default there?

Do we limit this exercise to just the keys that _all_ window mgrs have in
common?  Or do we try to adapt Emacs to each window mgr separately, for each of
its own keys?

You've said that for you the criterion is simply that MS Windows has this `Close
Alt-F4' item in a system menu.  So that's neither exactly the (a) nor the (b)
that I mentioned: neither for user convenience nor because we cannot do
otherwise.

Fair enough, but I wonder if presence-in-a-system-menu is the consensus
rationale.  It's good to know why we're doing this.

> What do you believe a new user thinks when (s)he sees this?

How is this different from the umpteen other window-mgr keys?  Shall we add them
all as Emacs defaults?  If not, what do you believe a new user will think when
s?he tries them?

> And regarding your effort to try to stop this: In the long run I
> believe we must change the key bindings.  Or die.

Or die?  Lennart, please.

But yes, in the long run, we will die.
Even if we change the key bindings, alas.