Re: emacs lisp syntax rfc: (cond (EXPR => (lambda (X) ...)))

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: emacs lisp syntax rfc: (cond (EXPR => (lambda (X) ...)))
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 18:20:18 +0100

() MON KEY <address@hidden>
() Mon, 3 Jan 2011 00:37:48 -0500

   Is the proposed symbol for this syntax extension `=>'?

Yes.

   If so, I find the proposed symbol ugly.

   `=>' is already a semantically loaded indicator.

I'm sorry, i don't understand what you mean.  Outside of
documentation and the mini-language Calc accepts, i don't
see that symbol in use.

   Likewise, the individual tokens of `=>' are too visually
   similiar to `=' and `>'.

   I would prefer either `#=>' or `#->' which might help to
   convey the implicit function call involved.

The hash is problematic, but really, any short symbol is
fine with me.  (I chose ‘=>’ out of familiarity w/ Scheme.)
Another idea is ‘:=>’ or even ‘::’, both of which font lock
nicely out of the box, for some extra visual distinction.