Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats

From: MON KEY
Subject: Re: DocView now supports OpenDocument & MS Office formats
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 19:06:40 -0500

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>>> From the Uno FAQ:
>>  2.22 How do I remotely connect to an OpenOffice.org running on a
>>  different machine?
>
> Irrelevant.  E.g., Elisp also allows you to connect to SaaS thingies.

Yes, of course; where Emacs is the client (or its immediate mediator);
and where Emacs is built from the more or less standard GNU C
libs/protocols; and where Emacs C API is quite a bit more transparent;
and where the Emacs environment is generally a far cry from the
massive amounts of indirection required to do an ODF conversion via
python/pyuno/UNO/OpenOffice/Java dependency chain -- indeed, it does!

Following are some "benchmarks" which might come of some interest to
the types of people who worry about dumpsize, the slow creep of Emacs
puresize, the size of online documentation relative to the printed
manual, backward compatibility with MS-DOS, running Emacs portably in
both TTY and GUId environments, etc. :P

http://www.oooninja.com/2008/05/openofficeorg-getting-faster-benchmark.html
http://www.oooninja.com/2008/05/openofficeorg-moores-law-obeys.html
http://www.oooninja.com/2009/03/multiplatform-benchmark-30.html

Would be interesting to chart some of the above benchmarks against the
decline of "Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping" as a prejorative
acronym...

--
/s_P\