Re: Any objection to adding completing-read-function?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Any objection to adding completing-read-function?
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 09:34:02 -0500

> So I wonder if there is any objection to adding a new variable
> completing-read-function that when set replaces completing-read? Let me
> know if I should submit it to the bug tracker.

There's been such requests in the past, which I've usually resisted.
But I guess it's OK to do such a thing.
A few points to note, tho:

> Here are some screenshots:
> I switching to a bookmark:
[...]
> Switching to a branch in magit:
[...]
[...]

You can get similar results with M-x icomplete-mode, possibly combined
with changing completion-styles (e.g. to add substring matching).

Generally, I'd much rather see the default completion improved than
side-stepped.

One other thing: a variable completing-read-function should not allow
a nil value, instead its default value should be
`completing-read-default' which is the current completing-read, so you
can always funcall completing-read-function without checking if
it's nil.

        Stefan