Re: Forcing reinstall in package.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Forcing reinstall in package.el
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 09:42:23 -0600

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 08:56:10 -0700 Tom Tromey <address@hidden> wrote:

Ted> "You have %s version %s installed, are you sure you want the older version
%s? (y/n/Y/N) "

Tom> I forgot to mention -- installing older versions can break dependencies.
Tom> The package activation code will handle this ok (it will not activate
Tom> such packages), but it will probably come as a surprise to the user when
Tom> some other package stops working.

Does this mean you're OK with the prompts otherwise?

I think if the user asks to install an older version and forces
package.el to do it, they should be responsible for any breakage.

The prompt is too long already so I don't want to extend it with "...and
this will break installed packages if they depend on the newer
version."  But maybe package.el could show "broken" packages that can't
be activated because of the version mismatch?  Or is that already covered?

Ted