Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp://

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: [Savannah-hackers-public] bzr move from sftp:// to bzr+ssh:// [done]]
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 18:42:17 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2010 16:01:30 +0200
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > It's slow and inefficient.  We've been told by Bazaar developers to
>> > switch to bzr+ssh (a.k.a. "smart server") since day one, when we
>> > started to complain about the slowness.
>>
>> Why didn't we switch to brz+ssh a long time ago?  This is the first I've
>> heard of it...
>
> Reportedly, there were some untold difficulties to do so.  Given the
> number of minutes it took today, I have my doubts.

The great Chinese emperor commissioned a painting of a rooster from a
famous artist.  The artist told him that it would take considerable
time.  After months and months of reminders and delays, the emperor went
to artist in person and entered his house, telling him that he would
stay at his place until the painting was done.  The artist put an empty
canvas on the scaffold [ok, somebody better versed in Chinese art please
substitute the correct materials here], took his brush and ink, and with
few swift and determined strokes put the perfect likeness of a rooster
to the canvas, scarcely taking a minute.

The emperor was furious: "You let me wait that long for a painting
taking a minute?  What for?".  Without a word, the artist opened the
door to his work room: the room was plastered, wall and ceiling, with
different paintings of roosters, stacks of them piling up on the floor.

--
David Kastrup