Re: mwheel scroll horizontally

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: mwheel scroll horizontally
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 11:18:07 +0200

> Why mwheel.el doesn't allow horizontal scrolling?

You mean: why doesn't it *support* horizontal scrolling?
Lack of a corresponding patch, I guess ;-)

> For instance, Gimp allows the Shift modifier to change
> the direction of scrolling from vertical to horizontal.

There are also various situations where the user has access to "real"
horizontal scrolling.  So rather than a modifier, it might be that
horizontal scrolling is specified by mouse-6 and mouse-7 or yet
something else.

> Shift and Control are already in use in mouse-wheel-scroll-amount,
> but Meta is available.  What about using Meta for horizontal

Doing it via global-map key bindings doesn't sound quite right.
Instead, we want to have mwheel understand wheel-left and wheel-right
events, and then (if/when needed) remap (via function-key-map) other
events to those ones.

        Stefan