Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 02:56:08 +0200

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 02:46, Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

> - I would expect Emacs users to believe thata search from within Emacs
> would autodetect coding system since Emacs does it. (Eli disagrees on
> this.)

I agree with him, BTW.

> What can we do? The options I can see are:

C.- Do nothing, and leave to the user the task of finding a tool that
can grep utf-16.

D.- Do nothing, and leave to the user the task of converting the
utf-16 files to another coding, as utf-16 is the internal format of
32-bit Windows APIs, but it is rarely found in files, even on Windows.

    Juanma