Re: Flipping url-show-status default

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: Flipping url-show-status default
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 18:34:42 -0400

TZ> I think you're underestimating the amount of time and expertise that
TZ> went into the Chrome and Firefox UI design.  They are quite good.

I use ff for sites with faulty ui detection logic and seamonkey as my
primary gui browser.  It is precisely true that the ff ui is crap
compared to sm (which tries to keep the mozilla ui).  Everything they
could do to make the ui worse is done, from removing regularly-used
menu items, to making the context menus harder to use, to breaking the
keyboard ui, et al.

Nearly every "cool" idea they came up with makes it harder to get work
done.  And the one good change they made wasn't even their idea;
changing the appearance of the uri bar for encrypted links was proposed
years earlier in the crypto community.  Kudos to the ff team for finally
getting the concept into gecko, and for many of the lower-level changes
they made.  But very much not for the majority of their ui changes.

The ff team may *think* they improved the zilla ui, but anyone who has
extensively used both can attest that that is a fallacy.

Following /their/ tradition of ui redesign is a poor idea.

If emacs' progress info is too noisy to follow, then I'm all for
cleaning it.  Just please do not eliminate it, or simplify it
beyond what it needs.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6