Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2010 08:35:47 +0900

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> I actually think that there is no grep etc that handles this kind of
>> files on w32. Is there on *nix?
>
> UTF-16 is the problem, and it (basically) doesn't exist on non-w32
> platforms.

Yup.

Though it seems MS is trying to fool/coerce the rest of the world into
greater adoption of that abortion... (e.g. the C++0x standard, where
u"xxx" now means UTF-16 text...)

-Miles

--
The trouble with most people is that they think with their hopes or
fears or wishes rather than with their minds.  -- Will Durant