Re: Emacs 23 Mac port

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 Mac port
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 09:53:09 +0900

>> uses Cocoa and it can be compiled as 64bit executable.

> I see a lot of Carbon in there, unlike in the NS port.

As long as a program runs as a 64-bit binary, which implies its GUI
part is implemented with Cocoa, I don't think the (selective) use of
Carbon is problematic.  If it were, then Apple would have excluded it
from the 64-bit version of Carbon like they did for its GUI part.
Sometimes Carbon is useful for finer control, and sometimes it is
necessary to provide compatibility functions for older versions of Mac
OS X where Cocoa hadn't provided enough replacements.

Not using Carbon would be meaningful for the NS port, because it has
to support GNUstep, too.  But for 64-bit GUI Mac programs, it does not
make sense to prefer Cocoa-only to a hybrid of Carbon and Cocoa.
People would neither call Safari a Carbon app nor complain its use for
the reason that the program is linked with the Carbon framework.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden