Re: [RFC] syslog interface

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: [RFC] syslog interface
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:01:31 +0900 (JST)

Thank you for comment.

>>  -server option added to newer emacs is very interesting.
>> But to write a rael server with emacs, there may be some missing
>> functions in emacs.
>>  syslog interface is one of such function. As a system administrator,
>> I'd like to track the event on the emacs server on which the service written
>> in elisp is running via /var/log/messages.
>
> Not sure what's the purpose here: the emacs-server is normally expected
> to be run by users, not as a system process (it's not expected to be
> shared by all users of the system), whereas syslog is normally used only
> for messages coming from system processes rather than from
> user processes.
>
> Can you give some additional info about what use case you're
> thinking of?

My use case is `font-lock' server.
Here is a prototype:

http://srpmix.org/api/browse.cgi?path=sources/e/emacs/23.2-3.fc14/pre-build/emacs-23.2/ChangeLog&display=font-lock

ChangeLog file is taken from emacs-23.2-3. When the file is requested
from web client, web server at srpmix.org asks emacs-server to convert
the file to a file in html format via emacsclient. It may be possible to
do the same thing with emacs --batch but to handle multiple clients
quickly I'd like to implemnt it with emacs-server. Because of disk size
limitation I don't like to use pre-convert technique; converting all
files into html format. What I'll deal is source code files of 2TB.

How about this one if you think just font-locking a file is not so interesting?

http://srpmix.org/api/browse.cgi?path=sources/e/emacs/23.2-3.fc14/pre-build/emacs-23.2&display=font-lock

This is something like dired. I'd like to integrate other goodies in
emacs to the output web page: etags, imenu, vc, etc.

>         Stefan
>

> PS: the "return Qundefined" is wrong, because Qundefined is a special
> value that Elisp code should never see.  Return Qnil instead.

Thanks.

Masatake YAMATO