Re: Hl-line and visual-line

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Hl-line and visual-line
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 18:47:03 -0400

On May 24, 2010, at 6:37 PM, Lennart Borgman wrote:

>> is your definition of `bovl' and `eovl'.
>
> I mean the same difference as between beginning-of-line and
> line-beginning-position (point-at-bol). (I prefer the shorter versions
> here. They are easier to read and easy to understand.)
>
> The first one moves point, but the second does not.

(save-excursion
        (beginning-of-visual-line)
        (point))

The presence of such functions may reinforce the impression that they could be
used as "beg" and "end" parameters to any other function that will process the
text between "beg" and "end", in order to make it operate on the visual line.

This works for L2R or even R2L text, but as this thread has made clear, not in
the bidirectional case.

So one would want a warning in their DOC strings, if those functions are needed.