HIST to read-from-minibuffer

From: Leo
Subject: HIST to read-from-minibuffer
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 21:25:14 +0100

Hello,

I am trying to read a string with a hist variable. I want the default to
be the first element of the hist variable and the history to start from
the SECOND element.

I can seem to get the behaviour I want with '(hist . 1) but not '(hist .
2). However the doc string says:

 "positions are counted starting from 1 at the beginning of the list"

This looks contradictory to the behaviour I observed. Is this a mistake
on my understand or the doc string? Thanks.

Leo