Re: Canonical location for emacs-version string in source tree?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Canonical location for emacs-version string in source tree?
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 13:12:29 -0400

On May 20, 2010, at 12:57, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:
> Gentoo GNU/Linux's packaging of emacs bzr trunk recently adapted to a bzr
> changeset that removed one of the several copies of emacs-version (e.g.
> "24.0.50") found in the source tree [1].

Well, it moved it, from version.el to emacs.c.

> Can one of these locations in the source tree  (i.e. emacs.c or configure.in)
> be
> designated as the canonical location for packagers to find the version string?

I thought about moving in that direction a bit when making my change, but the C
code needs to get the value easily at compile time on both UNIX and Windows
platforms, which rules out using autoconf's PACKAGE_VERSION (unless we can
generate PACKAGE_VERSION on Windows) and using non-trivial scripts to extract
it from configure.in or elsewhere (unless someone wants to write and debug both
versions).

I'm not opposed to someone doing the work; I just couldn't effectively do it
myself at the time, and didn't need it for my work.  And for Emacs maintenance
itself, there are scripts and lisp packages (not distributed in the Emacs
package) that know where the version strings live and how to update them
consistently, so there hasn't been a big demand to reduce them all to one
master source location.

If you need to pick one place, then I think for now emacs.c is the right place.

Ken