Emacs registers above 255

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Emacs registers above 255
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 16:04:07 +0200

Hello,

according to the documentation, registers are characters up to 255.
But the actual implementation is very simple and permits storing
"anything" in `register-alist' using `set-register'; it's just that the
UI functions use the "c" interactive spec, so you can't really enter
anything other than a character inputtable without an input method.

My question is: would you consider it too much of a hack if a package
used registers above 255 to not clobber the standard registers, but on
the other hand be able to use the existing infrastructure (my example
use case would be implementing Vim-compatible registers in an emulation
package)?

Štěpán