Re: Use Core Text for Cocoa Emacs

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Use Core Text for Cocoa Emacs
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 08:31:46 +0000 (UTC)

Wang Ling <an00na <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible and advantageous to use Core Text for Cocoa Emacs?
> I'm just wondering whether it is a practical and meaningful thing to do for
Mac Emacsers.

Hi,

Overall it's probably a wash at the present time.  Using it would not result in
any immediate user-visible changes by itself and might make supporting Tiger
difficult.  (The framework is there on Tiger, but it's private, and I'm not sure
how mature compared to the CG APIs.)  But on the other hand, it exposes a bit
more of the guts of the Text system than earlier APIs, which should make support
of advanced font backend features easier.  The cost here would be forking this
code to keep GNUstep supported.  (Right now CG (vs. DPS on GNUstep) is only used
at the very lowest level for emacs rendering, so the split code is small.)

-Adrian