Re: The current rules for making Emacs binaries available on the net?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: The current rules for making Emacs binaries available on the net?
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 00:51:51 +0200

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
> See the GPL FAQ which is in gnu.org/licenses
> for GPL questions.

The section that is closes to my question seems to be this
(http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#UnchangedJustBinary):

   Can I put the binaries on my Internet server and put the
   source on a different Internet site?

      Yes. Section 6(d) allows this. However, you must
      provide clear instructions people can follow to obtain
      the source, and you must take care to make sure that
      the source remains available for as long as you
      distribute the object code.

Now if someone distributes unpatched binaries built from Emacs sources
is it then enough to tell from where this sources can be downloaded
and what revision number the checkout had?

My impression before was that this was not allowed, but looking at it
again I can not see why it should not be allowed.