Re: Emacs 23 Mac port

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Emacs 23 Mac port
Date: Thu, 06 May 2010 10:04:27 +0900

> On May 3, 2010, at 10:35 PM, YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu wrote:
>> The twelfth update of the Mac port, which is
>> experimental/hackers-only,

> It would be nice to merge the improvements from this port into the
> NS port so that a larger group of users will eventually benefit from
> it.

Scratching the surface of the NS port doesn't make sense to me,
because it contains so many "I wouldn't design/implement so" in its
fundamental part.

> Debugging something else, I came across a statement with substantial
> foresight from you in 2005:

>> As for Emacs 23, the Carbon port itself might become such that
>> "it's difficult to understand why it should be supported".  From
>> the users' point of view, it would be confusing to have two ports
>> of Emacs that are the same version and have similar look-and-feel,
>> provided that both of them are sufficiently stable and functional.

> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-09/msg00773.html

I'm no longer maintaining "the Carbon port", and I think that now
(especially after the release of Snow Leopard) people agree it was a
right decision to abandon it early.  I could assign more time for
developing another port that uses Cocoa AppKit, seeing if the NS port
becomes good enough to me.

Also, I said "provided that both of them are sufficiently stable and
functional."  I don't encourage the person who think the NS port is
already sufficiently stable and functional to try the Mac port (the
README-mac file in the tarball says so at the beginning).

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden