RE: Odd unused yank-handler arguments

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Odd unused yank-handler arguments
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 06:54:29 -0700

> Any objection to the patch below?
>
> -(defun kill-new (string &optional replace yank-handler)
> +(defun kill-new (string &optional replace)
>
> -(defun kill-append (string before-p &optional yank-handler)
> +(defun kill-append (string before-p)
>
> -(defun kill-region (beg end &optional yank-handler)
> +(defun kill-region (beg end)

1. I don't use the `yank-handler' arg myself, so I don't have any objection a
priori.

2. However, why not give the reason for the change?

To understand this, I'm looking through the code (since Emacs 22, when this arg
was introduced) to try to understand. It seems to all turn around
`insert-for-yank-1', which still seems to respect a `yank-handler' property.

At least in the 1-96 pretest and in your patch, I see no change to the
`insert-for-yank-1' behavior, so this is apparently only to remove the arg for
those three `kill-*' functions. Can you give an idea what is behind the proposed
change?

Perhaps the reason is that those functions should never have had such an arg. Or
perhaps it is that they no longer need it. Or that no existing code using them
uses the arg. Or...

IOW, why not be clear, saying (a) whether there is also some associated general
change to the yank-handler handling and (b) what the particular motivation for
this change is?

Removing an arg is like adding an arg. What's the reason?