Re: delete-selection-mode

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 22:23:57 -0400

    Personally I think that the traditional Emacs way of setting mark should
    have neither delete-selection nor transient-mark by default.  The reason
    is that Emacs has two distinct uses for the mark - as a mark, and as one
    end of the region. Transient-mark-mode and delete-selection-mode really
    only apply when the mark is used as one end of the region, and get in
    the way when the intention is to use the mark as a mark.

The reason I don't agree with this is that Transient Mark mode
is very useful with the traditional Emacs mark commands.
(I have mark-even-if-inactive set to t, which is what makes
Transient Mark mode acceptable.)