Re: emacs-w3m?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 10:26:26 -0500

On Feb 24, 2010, at 9:11 PM, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

>    You seem to have committed share/emacs/site-lisp/w3m/ and the files
>    to the Emacs trunk.  Isn't it a mistake?
>
> Yes.

So, this has been rectified by another commit, but now everyone has 30MB of
garbage in their history.

Mistakes can happen, and they will especially since the bzr setup makes it easy
to commit all changed files and push them without further checks.  Entering the
log message in an editor makes it easier to see the list of changed files - the
-m parameter for a quick change seems dangerous.  I am a little surprised that
additional files got added without explicit interaction with bzr.

The big question is whether this memory leak is acceptable.  We have 30 MB
extra in this case.   Even if this is less when compressed, we're talking a lot
of total storage given some 500 copies of the repository (??) and infinitely
more bandwidth incurred in the future when checking out the repo.  (Infinite
because Emacs will never die.)

Would the equivalent of "git reset olderrevid ;  git push -f" inconvenience
people very much?