Re: C-x v u for added files in vc-git

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: C-x v u for added files in vc-git
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:24:30 +0900

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
>   > > git checkout HEAD <file>
>   > > git rm --cached <file>
>   > >
>   > > that take care of all situations.
>   >
>   > I don't know _what_ people expect "C-x v u" to do for files that were
>   > never committed, .... but the above sequence (specifically, the "git co")
>   > seems to reset the file's contents to the contents it had at the time it
>   > was added with "git add", in addition to removing it from the list of
>   > added files.
>
> That's not good, we need something that just removes it from the index
> and keeps the current contents.

Hmm, that sequence also seems wrong in that the "git rm --cached" will
make previously committed files become "deleted" in the tree.

It seems like it's necessary to test whether a file has already been
committed, and use "git co" if so, and otherwise use "git rm --cached".

Since VC already appears to know whether the file's in the repo or just
"added" (in the mode-line, it shows "@" for newly added files, but ":"
or "-" for already-in-the-repo files), that should be possible, right?

-Miles

--
o The existentialist, not having a pillow, goes everywhere with the book by
  Sullivan, _I am going to spit on your graves_.