Re: CEDET on menu bar

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: CEDET on menu bar
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:09:55 +0100

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
> Now that the dust has mostly settled on the CEDET merge, I'd like to
> address the issue of entering CEDET via the menu-bar.
>
> There are two possibilities: putting CEDET in the Options menu or
> putting it in the Tools menu.
>
> Conceptually, it would be cleaner to put CEDET in the Tools menu,
> alongside the other development-related commands like "compile", "gdb",
> etc.
>
> However, unlike the other items in the Tools menu, which are one-off
> commands, Semantic and EDE are minor modes.  They can be toggled, just
> like the items in the Options menu.  It would also be nice to be able to
> use the "Save Options" menu item to enable Semantic and EDE across
> sessions.
>
> What do people think?

I think there should be a top-level menu called "Minor Modes" or
something similar.

That would be very helpful in other cases too. I am not sure what
changes are needed to move most minor modes under this top-level menu.
Perhaps it can be done automatically in some cases, maybe by modifying
define-minor-mode.