Re: Identifying DEFUNs in which-func-mode

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Identifying DEFUNs in which-func-mode
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 04:44:52 +0200

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 04:29, Eric M. Ludlam <address@hidden> wrote:

> If you enable semantic-mode in Emacs (via the recent integration) and
> also enable EDE (via the integration), then Emacs will identify your
> Emacs sources as a project, and setup the parsing system to recognize
> DEFUN macros.

Interesting.

> Anyway, the Semantic parsers put overlays on tags, so looking up which
> function you are on is very fast.

Cool. There's a comment in which-func.el:

;; TODO LIST
;; ---------
;; [...]
;;     2. This package should be realized with the help of overlay
;; properties instead of imenu--index-alist variable.

so it's nice to know Semantic is doing better and faster (not that I
doubted it :-)

> You can see how the which-func support works at the bottom of this file:
>
> http://cedet.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/cedet/cedet/semantic/semantic-imenu.el
>
> This support was added a long time ago, and judging by the description
> you posted, should be re-written to some new APIs anyway.  I'd be glad
> to see that old code refreshed as needed, as which-func is exactly the
> type of functionality that CEDET excels at.

I've just taken a cursory glance, but yes, it seems like the advice
stuff for which-func at the end of semantic-imenu.el could be
simplified by using which-func-functions.

BTW, there's no semantic/imenu.el on the Emacs CVS, nor any reference
to which-func in the lisp/cedet/ subtree. Why?

> On the flip-side, if you enable the CEDET tools, you could enable
> semantic-stickyfunc-mode instead of which-func.  IMO this is a much
> slicker way of doing the same thing, but only if you don't use your
> header line for other tasks already.

It's pretty clear that at some not-to-distant future I should take the
time to learn about the CEDET tools...

All in all, what I proposed could still be useful for developers not
wanting to use EDE, etc. But perhaps is just not worth the trouble.

    Juanma