Re: supporting mouse-entered, mouse-left

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: supporting mouse-entered, mouse-left
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 15:16:01 -0400

> I would like to highlight certain identifiers (such as all uses
> of a particular local variable in a function) simultaneously
> when the mouse enters any of them.

> I've scoured the documentation, and I don't see a way to
> accomplish this feat.

You can probably do it via track-mouse, but it's likely not going to
satisfy your needs quite like you want to.

> Would it be reasonable to add mouse-entered and mouse-left
> properties analogous to point-entered and point-left?

That sounds reasonable, yes.

> Alternately (or in addition), it might be nice to have text
> properties analogous to the mouseenter, mouseleave and
> possibly mouseover standard browser events, which would
> fire at the granularity of pixels rather than characters.

For text, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.  For images, I believe we
do have something that goes in this direction (tho not for mouse
movement).
Another way might be to check for a `mouse-movement' binding on the
keymap under the mouse cursor.

        Stefan