Re: Menu commands to M-x history?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Menu commands to M-x history?
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 23:34:15 +0200

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Drew Adams<address@hidden> wrote:

> Yes. But I don't think convincing me is your biggest obstacle. I don't see
> anyone else even agreeing that menu-invoked commands can be useful in the
> history.

No, there is normally not much interest in features for new users. I
guess it is kind of natural since they are not here, but I see no
other way/place to argue for them than here.

The outcomes of such discussions often (but not always) are very small
however - and that is a problem. I wonder how many times we have
suggested to change the menus for example.

Maybe it is a matter of how the people that do discuss agree/disagree.
You and I have for example not come to any useful conclusion here. We
disagree and can't find any way to get further. Our failure to do so
might be the real obstacle.

My feeling is that I can't argue for your solution. It is too
complicated for me. It would miss the goal I was trying to reach.
Maybe your suggestions can be useful for advanced users, I do not
know.

However, drawing some conclusions what I have learned from political
discussions is that one way to make a suggestion collapse is to find
problems with it to early instead of beeing positively creative. It
might be unavoidable here since we both have ideas of how to do
things. But it might also be a certain culture here that makes us go
into some kind of decision before we have actually got a broad picture
of the alternatives. The usual suggestion for finding creative
solutions is to not argue against them to start with, rather trying to
build a creative view.

However it is difficult, maybe because we are communicating this
rather cumbersome way. Direct face to face interaction seems better
for quick grasping of things (if you get into the right mode).