Re: improve vc-bzr-print-log

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: improve vc-bzr-print-log
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:54:47 +0900

Dan Nicolaescu writes:

 > The thing is that bzr users have all the reasons to use very up to date
 > versions, the performance and disk usage is dramatically better.

All true, but the bzr developers themselves worry about this,
especially because even Ubuntu releases lag bzr releases by many
months, and other distros are even more conservative.

bzr is also not yet out of the woods with respect to "format churn"
(in terms of released versions); there's another big one on the way in
the next month (that is, the recently released as "optional" in 1.17
"--2a" format will become "default" in 2.0, unless of course they have
to retrench on 2.0 and it becomes 1.18 instead, in which case who
knows what will happen to the status of "--2a" format or when it will
become default and eventually propagate into the distros).

I realize that "Emacs developers" won't have a problem with adopting a
bzr recent enough for Emacs developer problems (many are already
following bzr.dev, I suspect), but it's definitely a barrier to entry
for new contributors (something that comes up frequently on the bazaar
list).