Re: Bazaar migration status?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Bazaar migration status?
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:06:28 -0400

On Jul 23, 2009, at 04:14, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
"Based work on" is the key phrase.  If you *know* nobody has done so,
if you know who has done so and coordinate with them, it's no big
deal, and often the best way to proceed because everybody agrees that
the branch should be rebased, it's just a question of coordinating on
*when*.

Yeah, and it'll probably be easier than I think in reality, because while my repository is in theory public, I haven't told anyone where it is yet. But I had been planning to, and wanting to do it soon. And distributed development like git (or bzr) supports shouldn't require that you keep track of everyone downstream from you.

But between the indefinite timing of the bzr switchover, and the warnings about how bad rebasing can be for anyone downstream, the message I'm hearing sounds a little like "if you publicize your development repo, we will cause you pain." :-)

       anyone downstream of it is forced to manually fix their
       history. This section explains how to do the fix from the
       downstream's point of view. The real fix, however, would be
       to avoid rebasing the upstream in the first place.

This sort of ripple effect requiring manual intervention for everyone
downstream seems... rude.

If done without coordination, sure, it's rude.  Somebody who's done
the amount of work that Andreas has done to preserve history is
anything but likely to be rude, though.

I didn't mean to cast aspersions on anyone working on this. I guess I'm just wishing the tools provided some extra metadata were carried along somewhere that would make it Just Work without me having to track down and sort out where the two versions of history match up. (And likewise for everyone downstream.) After all, it will be in a sense the same repository after the conversion as it was before; tracking it across the switch ideally ought to be trivial and automatic.

[I]t seems to be that we *do* want the content to be the same, and
all the history info... but we're going to have a complete new
version history anyways, because it's how the tools work today.

Hm?  Uh, if the content is the same, then you haven't rebased at all.

I'm assuming we want the history as shown by git or bzr to show exactly the same sources, changed in exactly the same way at exactly the same times and by the same people and with the same log messages, as we see now with CVS or git.

What I've been hearing is that the result of mirroring the bzr repository into git isn't likely to give the same commit revision ids as we have in the CVS->git mirror. Which suggests to me that either the content or the metadata is going to come out differently in some way, probably because of the differences between tools. (Or maybe the mirroring tools are non-deterministic in some way affecting the output, but I would hope that wouldn't be the case.) If the bzr->git mirror were expected to generate the same hash values for absolutely everything, I wouldn't have anything to be concerned about.

In that case, somebody has deliberately changed the metadata of
history (eg, git-filter-branch).  But you can analyze this with the
tools git (uniquely, AFAIK, cf Miles's "Tribute to a VCS" post :-)
provides:
[...]
which will find out if there's any commit whose tree is identical to
HEAD's.  Note that if this is the case, you probably can find a whole
branch which is identical to HEAD's branch in terms of content.

Interesting... that could be the additional data I was asking for above. Thanks! But, the expectation of different revision ids still concerns me -- is that because of minor differences in content, like maybe translating .cvsignore into something else for bzr or loss of some trivial bit of data like file modes, that will cause the trees not to be identical, or differences in commit metadata that just cause the commit ids to be different despite matching file content?

Ken