Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:58:30 +0200

Stefan Monnier skrev:
In particular, the File Style and local variables settings are rarely
used precision instruments, for configuring unusual files unusually.
This indicates that we should not set c-file-style in the .dir-locals.el
file of the Emacs source tree.

Actually, I wonder: why would it be correct to use another style than GNU
for C files inside the Emacs source tree?

I don't think it's a feature that dir-locals.el takes precedence over
mode-hooks (it's more of an accident that we consider sufficiently
harmless not to fix it, especially since a fix would probably be
difficult/inconvenient/buggy), but in this case it seems to provide just
the behavior we want.  I mean we do want to "impose" the GNU style in
our files, no matter what the user usually prefers.

What am I missing?

That setting space-before-funcall in c-cleanup-list is a very reasonable thing to do in the context of the GNU-style (why isn't it on by default for GNU?), and in no way breaks the imposed style. But the old ways of doing that in the Emacs source tree doesn't work anymore, and there is nothing in NEWS, and AFAIK, no discussion about it has taken place. It is just one of those frustrating WTF-discoveries.

        Jan D.