Re: line-move-visual

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 10:21:49 +0300

On 2009-07-11 06:42 (UTC), Andrey Paramonov wrote:

> I'm sure many users (especially younger ones ;-) would appreciate the
> idea of Visual Lines mode. However, making it default would expose
> some current usability problems, like this one:
>
> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3695
>
> From this point, you may wish to not enable the Visual Lines mode by
> default until it matures (23.1 ?).

I think this discussion is mostly about variable line-move-visual.
Anyway, even though I like global line-move-visual=t indeed the feature
isn't completely mature yet. These both bugs appear only when
line-move-visual=t and are present in 23.0.96 and 23.1.50:

    "next-line and previous-line don't keep the column in text-scale-mode"
    http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3668

    "Strange cursor movement in truncation mode"
    http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3805