Re: line-move-visual

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 06:26:19 +0200

Johan Myréen <address@hidden> writes:

> Could somebody please explain to me what the idea behind the new concept of
> "visual lines" in Emacs is?

Take your breath and deep into this discussion:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/101560

I also agree the default for `line-move-visual' should be nil.
Some other developers expressed their dislike about visual line
mode in many ways.  See this recent comment on orgmode list:

  http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/15224

> Emacs has always been a "line-oriented" editor, i.e. the buffer consists of
> logical lines. These lines can occasionally wrap so that they spill over to
> the next visual line, but the main concept is still the logical line. This
> has
> been the mindset of Emacs users since the dawn of time.
>
> I was shocked to find out that this doesn't seem to be true anymore: by
> default C-n and C-p do not move to the next and previous logical lines, but
> instead place the cursor on the next or previous visible line. I find this
> totally counterintuitive.

So do I.

IIRC we never had a vote about this issue - maybe it's time to have it.

> Yes, I know the old behaviour can be restored: after some digging I found out
> about the line-move-visual variable. Couldn't the default be nil instead of t?
>
> Please do not forget what Gnu Emacs stands for: Generally Not Used, Except by
> Middle-Aged Computer Scientists. With changes like this you risk alienating
> the few of us that are left.

Hey!  Stay here.  I hope we'll fix this.

--
 Bastien