Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: What is the proper way to set the default font these days?
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 09:45:33 +0200

2009/7/2 Jan Djärv <address@hidden>:
> Deniz Dogan skrev:
>>
>> Using the latest CVS checkout, I think I have been able to more
>> precisely point out what is going wrong on my computer with XMonad and
>> Emacs. All of the following instructions happen without anything in
>> .Xdefaults (.Xresources doesn't exist).
>>
>> I start Emacs like one normally does, with .emacs removing fringes,
>> the scrollbar, the menubar and the toolbar. This comes up:
>> http://pici.se/pictures/pXCGsmQpd.png
>>
>> Then I modify ~/.emacs, commenting out any removal of fringes, etc.
>> http://pici.se/pictures/avxrLUQYn.png
>>
>> It should be pretty clear looking at the pictures that the "offset" in
>> the first picture is caused from not "updating" the sizes or whatever
>> after having evaluated ~/.emacs. How do I force this?
>>

> Emacs relies on the window manager/X server to send ConfigureNotify events
> when the size changes.  Somehow it is missing some events or events are not
> being sent.  The way to force it is to resize the frame a bit.
> Does this happen if you start Emacs normally and then by invoking the proper
> commands by hand, remove toolbar and so on?

If I remove them "manually" after startup, the problem doesn't occur.
What's weird is still like I said before that everything worked fine
in a previous version of Emacs 23. Unfortunately, figuring out in
which exact revision this problem started occurring is rather
cumbersome, especially for me since I know very little about CVS.

--
Deniz Dogan