Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 08:42:05 -0400

On May 26, 2009, at 8:24 AM, Lennart Borgman wrote:
I believe it might be better to investigate more how certain features
(like visual-line-move) should be handled under different
circumstances. Such circumstances is (as is pointed out here) macros,
but there are others two, like printing. And what about using the
affected functions in functions that might do the editing in another
window than the selected window?

Rather than providing hooks so that the user can be trapped by the problem, diagnose it, find the hooks, and come up with the right lisp code (most users actually don't speak lisp) to fix it, why not turn off line-move-visual (and anything else of the "do what I mean" variety) during macro recording and playback? That would lead to consistent and predictable behavior.