Keybindings in non-Latin layout

From: Андрей Парамонов
Subject: Keybindings in non-Latin layout
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 19:30:10 +0400

Hello!

I'm using Emacs under Debian GNU/Linux system on a daily basis for a
couple of years already. Recently I've tried NTEmacs, and I've noticed
that it solves the most annoying problem I'm having with my Emacs all
the time.

When I'm typing text in Russian, I wish that Emacs keybindings worked
without need to switch to English layout. For example, when I hit C-x
C-s, I wish it worked in both English and Russian layouts.

Following advice by Jason Rumney, I've tried using "russian-computer"
input method, and indeed the keybindings keep working in this mode.
However I don't find it very convinient to use different key combos in
Emacs and in other applications for switching keyboard layouts. Also,
the keybindings work only if the active X keyboard layout is "us", not
"ru".

Is there a way to implement such a feature in GNU Emacs or it would
only work on w32, not on GNU system? Maybe it is possible to solve
these problems using the knowledge about character conversion
(available in the input method)? Is it possible to use input method
character conversion table the other direction?

Andrey Paramonov