Re: Don't report new bugs for Rmail??

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Don't report new bugs for Rmail??
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 20:02:18 -0800

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009, Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> Packages are not arbitrary labels. "Packages" are. I said that
> packages are "packages" (i.e., labels) plus other things.
>
> What I was saying, in other words, is that you can assign a bug to
> any arbitrary label, but that the label is not a real package unless
> the package exists.

You don't assign a bug to an arbitrary label. There's no such thing as
a label in debbugs. You assign a bug to a package.

The package(s) a bug is assigned is orthogonal to whether that package
actually exists and the other goodies that come with packages that
have been properly defined in debbugs.

I'd rather not waste time trying to work around problems and
misconceptions brought about by the use of invented non-standard
nomenclature to describe how debbugs operates. [In actual fact, I
probably won't spend the time dealing with such issues at all.]

> But still, you can search for the label "rmail" even if no package
> exists.

No. You can search for bugs which have package "rmail". There is no
such thing as a label in debbugs. The package a bug is assigned to has
nothing to do with whether the package is known to exist. Debbugs only
cares about what is in the package field of the bug when searching for
bugs.

Don Armstrong

--
A Democracy lead by politicians and political parties, fails.