Re: bzr repository ready?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: bzr repository ready?
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 15:01:58 -0500

Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> writes:
> This change is part of a merge commit that did not contribute anything
> on its own (ie. there were no conflicts).  The changes it introduces are
> identical in the merged branches, so there is no point in duplicating
> the history that is already present in the merge parent.  In other
> words, these two commands produce identical output:
>
> git diff d38470869..d38470869^ -- lisp/cus-start.el
> git diff d38470869^2..d38470869^^2 -- lisp/cus-start.el
>
> The first gives the changes relative to the last merge commit on the
> lexbind branch, the latter the changes between the last two merge
> parents on the master branch.

Thanks.  So if I understand you correctly, we shouldn't worry about that
commit not showing up in the bzr history.  It was omitted (from git)
because the original changes themselves are already present via the
merge parent, and including the merge of that parent as a commit unto
itself wouldn't add any information.

I'll continue spot-checking with that in mind.

(Reading http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html
to make sure I grok this completely... So in the merge of the lexbind
branch and the master branch, the lexbind branch is parent 1 and the
master branch is parent 2?)

-Karl