Re: relation between `dired-guess-default' and `mailcap-file-default-com

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: relation between `dired-guess-default' and `mailcap-file-default-commands'
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 23:55:46 +0200

>> `mailcap-file-default-commands' is superior since it provides real
>> commands available on the system.
>
> Granted. But `dired-guess-default' gives the user some control via
> `dired-guess-shell-alist-user'. That too is an advantage, unless there is a
> similar means for users to add to or prune the candidates found by
> `mailcap-file-default-commands'.

There is `mailcap-mime-data' but it is not yet defcustom because
it's too big.

>> But it's not clear what to do with
>> `dired-guess-default': either combine its commands with commands
>> from `mailcap-file-default-commands' or remove completely.
>
> Yes, that's the question.

I tend to combine them with mailcap commands by putting
dired-guess-shell-alist-user commands to the beginning and
dired-guess-shell-alist-default to the end of mailcap commands.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/