Re: tags for functions

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: tags for functions
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:20:05 -0600

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:13:47 +0100 Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

LB> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:11 PM, Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> wrote:
LB> I think the idea is nice, but maybe keywords should be used (like in
LB> defcustom etc) for the implementation?
>>
>> "Keywords" is an OK name for the concept; "tags" is the same thing
>> logically but we should stick with what's normal for Emacs Lisp.  What's
>> important is to:

LB> I meant something like

LB>   (defun my-move-defun ()
LB>     "docstring"
LB>     :tags '(move)
LB>     ...)

OK (I misunderstood you originally but it's not worth explaining :)

Let's go with

   (defun my-move-defun ()
     "docstring"
     :keywords '(move)
     ...)

to be consistent with "Keywords" in the package headers and other
places.

(defun) would need some small changes at the C level to handle this, but
my question was whether I should use the symbol's plist to store the
keywords, or a global hashtable for speed or something else.  It
seems like the symbol plist is the best place logically; are there any
issues with walking the whole namespace to find tags?  I don't want this
to be slow.

Ted