Functions in kill-emacs-hook aren't run if emacs gets killed with SIGTER

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Functions in kill-emacs-hook aren't run if emacs gets killed with SIGTERM
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:06:58 +0100

Hi,

I use emacs --daemon as system service and it's started and stopped by
the start-stop-daemon utility.  Now I found out that all the functions
in `kill-emacs-hook' aren't run when start-stop-daemon stops the emacs
process.  I'm not sure how it stops it, but I think it's by sending a
SIGTERM to the process, waiting some seconds and then firing an SIGKILL
if the process didn't finish.

How does emacs handle SIGTERM?  Doesn't it simply run `kill-emacs'?  At
least that's what I would expect.

A related question: What does emacs --daemon do when it receives a
SIGTERM and there are unsaved buffers?

Bye,
Tassilo