Re: Please try Pmail

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Please try Pmail
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 23:11:39 -0500

"Stefan Monnier" <address@hidden> writes:

> We should try to find a way to get both cases working right (and even
> the case where build_annotations switched buffers more than once,
> ideally).
>
> The cleanest solution is to let build_annotations_unwind run some
> buffer-local hook function (e.g. write-region-post-annotate-function),
> which can either run kill-buffer, and/or re-narrow the buffer, and/or
> kill previous buffers.  The current code already allows it via
> kill-buffer-hook, but using that is ugly and will lead to
> other surprises.

The annotation functions would need to add functions to that hook when
they are run.  Maybe this is a good solution, but I'm not sure.

Another idea: allow a new type of return value for annotation functions,
and use this to keep track of buffers to be killed.  For example, allow
annotation functions to return (FUN1 . FUN2), where FUN1 and FUN2 are
lambda functions.  Then FUN1 is called during annotation, and FUN2 is
called after other annotations have taken place.