Re: send-mail-function / mailclient

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: send-mail-function / mailclient
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:52:40 -0500

> Back when we introduced mailclient.el, we used it as default for OS X,
> because there, the built-in postfix mail sending function did not work
> right and led to e-mail being swallowed.  In recent OS X versions,  this has
> been fixed.  Postfix is started on demand without the need  for
> user configuration.

Even if Postfix works differently now, the problem is not solved.
It's just that it works now "just as poorly as under most GNU/Linux
systems".

> On the downside, I find that sending mail Postfix-style does not work as
> well as it used to, due to crippled mail servers that refuse to  accept mail
> from dynamic IP ranges (i.e. home broadband) as a spam-
> defense.

Yes, that's the problem.  Nowadays, "systems" are basically not allowed
to email any more, only "users".  So using `postfix' (which is not
under the control of a user. but only under the control of the system)
doesn't cut it.

        Stefan