Re: frame-environment

From: Michael Ekstrand
Subject: Re: frame-environment
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:30:50 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> From: Michael Ekstrand <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:37:00 -0600
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> > It sounds like an un-implemented or abandoned part of multi-tty.  If so,
>> > it should certainly be removed.
>>
>> If this is removed rather than implemented, would that then mean that
>> there is no way to access the varying environments of frames under
>> multi-tty?
>
> What are ``the varying environments of frames under multi-tty''?
> AFAICS, Emacs doesn't have such a beast.

The concept I am trying to get at (and has been discussed, according to
Stefan's message yesterday) is that the different processes involved in
Emacs have different environments.  I may be associating them with the
wrong entity, but if I have several GUI frames on my desktop, and then
another frame displayed via emacsclient -t.  emacsclient may have a
different environment than the master Emacs process.  That different
environment may be important (e.g. for running GnuPG properly).  Thus,
in the long term, in order to Do The Right Thing in a multi-tty
environment, it is necessary to be able to know about multiple
environments and be able to select the correct one; the description of
the code in question lead me to believe that the approach to this was
associating environments with frames.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
Confused by the strange files?  I cryptographically sign my messages.