shell-command

From: John J Foerch
Subject: shell-command
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 19:00:19 -0500

Hello,

  When running an asynchronous command with `shell-command', special
sequences in the output are not processed, so for example, the
progress-meter of wget gets output repeatedly "end-to-end" instead of
printing over itself for the effect of animation.  If comint were used
instead of call-process for asynchronous processes, such commands'
output would be displayed "correctly".  Is there anything blocking such
a change?  I would find it very convenient, as I often want to run an
mplayer or wget process with M-!.

Thank you,

John Foerch