Re: help about the display iterator.

From: A. Soare
Subject: Re: help about the display iterator.
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 18:24:23 +0100 (CET)

Thanks.

Yes, I have read the beginning of xdisp.c.

I have also saw the trace of redisplay_internal. I did saw that
redisplay_internal is the function that created the desired_matrix, i.e. the
new image of the next refresh of screen. And also from redisplay_internal are
called the low-level graphical functions that send the image to the video card.

What confuses me very hard is the number of variables that appear inside
redisplay_internal. I do not understand where to start reading this function.
For example, when I see

  /* The flag redisplay_performed_directly_p is set by
     direct_output_for_insert when it already did the whole screen
     update necessary.  */
  if (redisplay_performed_directly_p)
    {
      redisplay_performed_directly_p = 0;
      if (!hscroll_windows (selected_window))
        return;
    }

 I understand that when redisplay_internal is called after
direct_output_for_insert, redisplay_internal stops here. But
direct_output_for_insert is never called on my emacs. I use GTK+ now.

So it is almost impossible to understand what happens just looking at the code.

To be more specific, let us consider this simple case: suppose that I use the
console, not graphics, and that I press the key 'x'; could you make me a brief
description of the trace of the code, starting from the moment when the
function read_char forces redisplay, until the character is send to the
phisical display?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alin.

toute simplicité votre videoblog ! http://video.voila.fr/mktg/?op=videoblog